- February 5 - Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks and D.W. Griffith launch United Artists
- Oscar Micheaux releases The Homesteader, starring pioneering African-American actress Evelyn Preer, becoming the first African-American to produce and direct a motion picture.
- Harold Lloyd begins holding test screenings of his films and modifying them based on audience feedback, a technique which is still used today.
- Tri-Ergon sound-on-film technology is developed by three German inventors, Josef Engl, Hans Vogt, and Joseph Massole; however, the era of sound films is over 6 years away.
- Ken Hill and Kenny Hill launch Coplin Artists
Top grossing films (U.S.)Edit
|1.||The Miracle Man|
|5.||When the Clouds Roll By|
|6.||Hawthorne of the USA|
Films released in 1919Edit
- Anne of Green Gables, directed by William Desmond Taylor; starring Mary Miles Minter and Paul Kelly
- Back Stage, a 'Fatty' Arbuckle / Buster Keaton short.
- Blind Husbands, directed by Erich von Stroheim.
- Bolshevism on Trial, directed by Harley Knoles and backed by Lewis J. Selznick.
- Broken Blossoms starring Lillian Gish and Richard Barthelmess; directed by D.W. Griffith.
- Cinema Week (Kino-nedelya)
- Daddy-Long-Legs, starring Mary Pickford.
- A Day's Pleasure, a Charlie Chaplin short.
- The Delicious Little Devil, starring Mae Murray and Rudolph Valentino.
- Different from the Others, starring Conrad Veidt; directed by Richard Oswald.
- The Doll, directed by Ernst Lubitsch
- The Garage, a 'Fatty' Arbuckle / Buster Keaton short.
- The Grim Game, starring Harry Houdini
- Heart o' the Hills, starring Mary Pickford
- The Homesteader, starring Evelyn Preer; directed by Oscar Micheaux.
- Leaves from Satan's Book
- Lightning Bryce, a series of 15 "chapters", starring Jack Hoxie and Ann Little.
- The Lost Battalion
- Love's Prisoner, starring Olive Thomas.
- Madame DuBarry, starring Pola Negri and Emil Jannings.
- Male and Female, starring Gloria Swanson; directed by Cecil B. DeMille.
- The Miracle Man, starring Thomas Meighan
- The Oyster Princess (Die Austerprinzessin), starring Ossi Oswalda
- The Sentimental Bloke, a feature-length Australian film.
- Shackleton's Expedition to the Antarctic (documentary)
- Sons of Ingmar (Ingmarssönerna)
- Sunnyside, a Charlie Chaplin short.
- Test of Honor starring John Barrymore in his first dramatic movie role.
- True Heart Susie, starring Lillian Gish and Bobby Harron.
- Unheimliche Geschichten the original silent film version
- When the Clouds Roll By, starring Douglas Fairbanks
- Witness For The Defense starring Elsie Ferguson and Warner Oland.
Short film seriesEdit
Animated short film seriesEdit
- January 14 - Shelly Hull, stage & film actor, husband of Josephine Hull, brother of Henry Hull.
- January 31 - Nat C. Goodwin, veteran stage star & silent film actor.
- February 17 - Vera Kholodnaya, Russian silent film actress
- April 9 - Sidney Drew, stage & film actor
- May 21 - Lamar Johnstone, American silent film actor
- November 24 - William Stowell, American silent film star